Saturday 9 June 2012

Today I got on a train (actually 2) to Modena, the city Enzo Ferrari lived in. The first thing I did after dropping off my bags at the hostel was go to the museum! Which was 40 minutes away by bus. Wasn't hard but here almost no one spoke any English.
When I got off the bus, I was like "omg this place is car heaven!" I can hear F1s raing around the Fiorano track, and every intersection had a Ferrari or a Lambo. I felt like I was truly in a car enthusiast town.
& I got to the museum at about 2pm... and left at 2:30pm. What I didn't expect, although I should have since I read about the place, was that it is not a very big museum. I think I have a picture of every Ferrari at the museum with duplicates and I only have about 20 photos. I was very upset. The highlight for me was probably being able to walk right up to an Enzo and touch it. I wasn't suppose to but if they are charging 11 euros to look at a selection of Ferraris that is probably smaller than the variety in Vancouver, I'm going to touch them. I did also get to see my new fav Ferrari beside my old fav Ferrari, the FF beside the 458 Italia, but I also saw both in Rome... in action.
When you step outside, there are like 10 people who work at the nearby places asking if you want to drive a Ferrari. I was like YA! But I have no money. They told, me it only costs 60 euros. Holy crap that sounded good. After a whole half a second of thinking I said YES! No I'm just kidding. 60 euros is def cheap... but I spent 11 of that money looking at Ferraris. O, and all those Ferraris and Lambos on the street, they are all from these companies.
Bitter about the whole thing, I decided to walk around the city, Maranello. The race track Fiorano and the Ferrari factory are both within walking distance, but both are not accessible to poor tourists like me. I also got a coupon for a gift from Ferrari if I spend over 25 euros at the store, and you guys know how much of a sucker I am for gimicks. I walked to the store hoping to find a keychain or something that said Ferrari Maranello or Ferrari Modena, but nothing. This Ferrari store sucks! I looked and looked, and believe me, I tried, but I couldn't find ANYTHING that I couldn't find elsewhere. I gave up. I was feeling so down, I didn't want to go look for my bus, so I decided to overpay the Ferrari shuttle back to Modena. Turns out it was actually a van, a nice one too. I treated it like a luxury cab and paid the 6 euros.
I went for dinner in Modena in search of cheap Modenese food because I heard so much about it. I ended up in a fancy place called da Enzo. I got what the hostess at the hostel told me to get, tortellini, and now I've learned that I don't like tortellini. The entire meal cost 12.50, which isn't bad considering I didn't eat all day. It took me 15, minutes to hit up all the tourist sites, one being the cathedral but it was all covered up in scaffolding, probably due to the recent earthquakes. O btw did I tell you there were multiple earthquakes here recently? That is probably why there is almost no one in this city. This was the first time that I felt weird for being asian. I was finally getting that alien look! Well, since there wasn't much else to do, I headed back to my hostel to write in my blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment